The Christmas season is here and most of us are already busy trying to make this year perfect. We want to give the perfect gifts, make Pinterest worthy food, and create as many Instagramable moments as possible. Sometimes our good intentions can drive us to the brink of crazy. For the sake of our friends and family, my co-hosts and I have gathered to talk about the times we’ve been difficult during the holiday season, how we are planning to change that, and what you can do if you know people like us.
Mentioned in the Show:
SPICED BRISKET WITH CARROTS
- 3 to 4 pounds fresh beef brisket or boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and bias sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Trim fat from meat; discard fat. Coarsely crush cloves and allspice. Combine cracked cloves and allspice, salt, pepper and nutmeg or cinnamon. Rub over the surface of the meat.
Place an extra large plastic bag in a large bowl. Place meat in bag. Stir together instant minced onion, brown sugar, catsup, vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Pour over meat in bag. Close bag. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag occasionally to redistribute marinade.
Place meat and marinade in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Cover and roast in a 325° oven for 2 hours. Add carrots and roast 1 hour longer or until meat is very tender and carrots are done. Remove meat to a serving platter. Cover to keep warm. Strain
JELLO FLUFF also known as Strawberry Fluff
- 2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry flavored Jell-O®
- 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
In a mixing bowl, combine the gelatin mix, cottage cheese, whipped topping and pineapple. Mix together well, refrigerate until chilled and serve.
Gretchen Rubin’s list on 8 Tips for Dealing with Difficult Relatives During the Holidays
- Have You Ever Had The Christmas Crankies? by Elise Daly Parker
- This Journey Called Marriage – The Way We Do the Things We Do by Elise Daly Parker
- When “Getting the Job Done” Defines Your Value by Noelle Rhodes for Circles of Faith
WHERE TO FIND THE CO-HOSTS:
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We are excited to announce we have put together a Facebook community group for Slices of Life listeners. We’d love for you to stop in and let us know:
What is your favorite holiday recipe?
NEVER MISS AN EPISODE!
Subscribe to us in iTunes and Stitcher so you never miss an episode. While you 're there, rate and review the show. Your comments go a long way in helping others find us. SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter to get additional information and bonus content that relates to each week's podcast.